Apr 21, 2006

Prairie Tunic, check

Prairie Tunic

Yarn: Jaeger Siena in ‘Driftwood’ (100% mercerized cotton), ordered from Angel Yarns in UK
Pattern: 'Prairie Tunic' from Spring 2006 issue of Interweave Knits (size Small)
Needles: US3 AddiTurbos
Recipient: Me, Myself, and I!
I plan to wear it to my brother’s wedding rehearsal dinner next weekend.
Thoughts: This is a little boring but perfect for television knitting. It should be a great project for learning basic lace making and the repetition inherent in the pattern would ensure that you really get it by the end of the project!

I made mistakes, some of which are dumb and I’ve just noted here for myself and/or historical accuracy. You should pay attention to #4 if you’re planning to make this, though.

1) When working the pattern, be sure to yarn over before you place the marker. I didn’t do this the first time I worked up the lace, resulting in an odd number of stitches and ‘bars’ stacked on top of each other instead of staggered.
2) ‘YO purlwise’ does not mean ‘purl-between’ or ytf
3) I changed ssps to ssks when decreasing the lace just because I thought it looked better.
4) There is a mistake in the pattern for decreasing in the front. I didn’t see any internet chatter on the subject until after I finished. Honestly, I thought I had screwed up or that the pattern was off because I was making a small size. You can see the effects of my sleepy fudging around the neckline in the detail below. Lesson of the day? When in doubt, do a blog search. These things happen all the time! …so don’t just assume you’re wrong.

Prairie Tunic detail

It fits well and has a nice drape, especially after steam blocking. I think I shall make some straps so I can hang it within view of an open closet door when it’s in season.

I had this much left:
Prairie Tunic leftovers

Yep, one untouched ball and a small bit of string.

I’m not sure about the color. Why I thought I would look as nice as the model does in that color is beyond me. That said, the situation may not be as dire as I think it is right now. I’ll post some photos after next weekend and y’all can chime in about the color.

I probably just need a tan.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that is lovely - very elegant! But I totally can't pull off that color, either...

4/21/2006  
Blogger Ashley said...

Wait, who took that picture, the Anthropologie photostylists? Awesome. Never mind hanging it near the closet door--leave it right on th wall where it is!

PS out of curiousity, what are you wearing it with/over?

4/21/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that colour - I found a short sleeved cashmere sweater in a 2nd hand store yesterday in that very colour.

Beautiful handiwork - love the artsy fartsy photowork.

I second ashley's question...I have the hardest time finding suitable camisoles (sp?)...

4/21/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

it's beautiful amanda! love it... now i have to get to it and do some summer wears too ;) thanks for the inspiration!

4/21/2006  
Blogger carrie said...

i love it! it's so elegant and will be perfect for a fancy dinner. i think the color is great, too -- springy without being overwhelmingly pastel. really lovely.

4/23/2006  
Blogger Theresa said...

Wow - that was fast! The magazine just came out, didn't it? What are you going to wear it with?

4/23/2006  
Blogger LotusKnits said...

Oooh! I'm working on this too, but in the the Blush color in Sienna. Yours looks beautiful, and thanks for the link to the correction!

:D

4/23/2006  
Blogger queen said...

Looks great. I hope mine turns out as well as yours!

4/26/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home