Mar 26, 2006

A project about which it's worth writing home

Now for a more positive domestic missive.

Dear Blog...

Yarn: Khroma in 'Melon' and 'Aegean' (50% baby alpaca, 50% merino), ordered from Loop in Philadelphia
Pattern: 'Rib and Cable Mitts' from Spring 2006 issue of Interweave Knits
Needles: US3 bamboo DPNs
Recipient: both pair to be gifted
Thoughts: Even though it's a simple cable, it would be nice to see the pattern charted as I mentioned before. Or I might have liked it more if the directions were less prose-y so I could quickly find my place while learning the pattern. Either way, I found it easy to memorize and quick to knit once I got the hang of it.

The fit is perfect BUT I have relatively thin hands so be sure to check the gauge if you're planning to knit these. They could easily be modified by putting an extra rib in them and making the cable three stitches wide instead of two.

Two total skeins of Khroma were enough to make two pair...

Two pair of FOs

...with this much left over (US coins and pencil for scale):

Leftovers

They look a little deflated without hands in them, so here's another action shot:

Columbine and Mitts

The colors are more true with the flash (action shots) than without (still shots) for once. Because these are going to be gifted and I so love the colors and fit, I ordered some Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in 'Chocolate' to make a pair for myself. I plan to trim them with the leftovers from this project. They probably won't be as soft (yum, alpaca), but they should compliment the project I made with Jacey's yarn early in the winter and they will be mine, all mine!

13 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Why yes, I did turn my laptop upside down to read your note. Why do you ask?

I love that pattern--esp the thumb for some reason.

Are you growing cilantro, or is that the bleeding heart?

3/26/2006  
Blogger Chris said...

They turned out great! In the shot of all of them, they look nice - but in the action shots, I love them. Interesting.

3/26/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the action shots. And actually, I wouldn't mind getting a pair that were mismatched. I think that makes them even more interesting. :)

BTW - is that cilantro you're growing? :) If not, what is it?

3/26/2006  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

The plant is actually a native columbine, which looks like this:

I was pretty sure the buyers of my old place would not notice if I took some of my favorite perennials before I left since they saw the home in November. All the other plants - including the bleeding hearts - moved to Chicago when I drove there over Spring Break. The bleeding hearts were doing well for a while, but I'm not sure if they are going to make it. Their little leaves turn gray/black and die away soon after they emerge. I think Rock Star is starting to harden them off so he can plant them out soon.

:-(

3/26/2006  
Blogger janna said...

I've been collecting wristwarmer patterns for several months, since I have perpetually cold hands and wrists, and have even knit one of my own (more or less) pattern. I've decided I need a pair with a gusseted thumb like these, not a buttonhole thumb like the one I knit. Maybe I'll try making these longer- I like the cable a lot. I also like your two-tone color scheme!

3/26/2006  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I love the mismatched look! I'm hoping handwarmer season here in NY is ending soon, but so far no luck! And now I hate Cingular for you - I'm suffering the whole last name confusion too and it's making me crazy. (I am a little jealous though - i wish my last name were monkey.)

3/26/2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Whoo hoo, whatever you did worked!

I love these mitts. I haven't ever come across the yarn you used but it certainly sounds soft.

3/26/2006  
Blogger RheLynn said...

neat bicolor action going on there ;o They turned out great!

3/26/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE those handwarmers. I've been admiring that pattern since IK came out. I looked at two of my LYS's for dk yarn that would be "right"...the search is on-going.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

Seriously, they turned out great.

I also identify with your recent google quote of the day.

3/26/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

they look great ! how are you and rock star stettling in?

3/27/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

they look great ! how are you and rock star stettling in?

3/27/2006  
Blogger carrie said...

they look fantastic! and your photos were lovely, too.

just read your cingular post and i'm totally sickened.

3/27/2006  
Blogger jlmack said...

They look great! My aunt, Carbie, taught me how to knit on circular needles and double-pointed needles over Christmas. She hadn't knit in 15 years and had never knit a pair of mittens, but she showed me how to make a pair of mittens ~ one is purple with a sage green thumb, and the other mitt is the 'negative' of that. I was inspired by Camper shoes.
My aunt now has a serious knitting problem. Yay!

3/27/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home