Mar 29, 2006

Truth in Advertising

I went to Rite-Aid on the way back from lunch to get some eyedrops and came back to the office with this:

Rite-aid Raid

Here's a close-up of the soda, purchased with this blog in mind:

Chubby

I bought it because it was so funny to see a soda advertising what your kid really will look like if she drinks it all the time.

But.

The lid advertises the 'Chubby Kids Club.' According to the website, "An exciting new category in the soft drink industry was created when Chubby was developed to target children" and headings like JUST THE RIGHT SIZE AND SHAPE and CONVIENIENT AND SAFE FOR KIDS pepper the pseudo-science webpage.

I see a lot of overweight and even obese children in my neighborhood. Stuffing them full of products like Chubby really sets them up for a lifetime of health problems. Now I implore Jaleel & Co, please stop targeting children with Red 40 and 30g of sugar per serving!

Besides, it tastes like ass.

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ye gads. How weird.

I passed the link to this post on to a friend who's a researcher/prof in nutrition and public health and who's done some stuff on soda...

Something like 1/2 - 2/3 of the calories teens get is from soda, which has zero nutritional value. Terrifying.

3/29/2006  
Blogger Ashley said...

That is terrifying.

Perhaos even more terrifying is the fact that I've already been through two of those four-packs this Easter season. Sigh...chubby.

3/29/2006  
Blogger Nik said...

tastes like ass, huh? *lol*

3/29/2006  
Blogger carrie said...

oh, that is too funny. when i see people drinking regular soda, i just want to shake them! switch to seltzer! then you can have a twinkie!

must admit, i love the creme eggs.

3/29/2006  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Oooh - that soda is some scary stuff - blech. (But thank you for the reminder that it's time for creme eggs!)

3/30/2006  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

I ate all those damn eggs when I got back to my desk and felt ILL all afternoon.

3/30/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture makes my teeth ache. I actually LIKE pellegrino/perrier better than pop. In my mind, I would also much rather have beer calories than pop calories.

Oh and I was also wondering:
Americans = soda?
Canadians = pop?

3/31/2006  
Blogger jlmack said...

I think my teeth dissolved a little. But you could probably dye some wool with it.
I wanted to make a Cadbury Creme Egg omelet for B&B Chef. But he hasn't been so happy lately, so he probably wouldn't find any humour in the dish.

3/31/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

that made me laugh! ummmm, i have stayed away form the cadbury eggs this year so far!
HAPPY B_DAY NICK :)

3/31/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home