Jun 29, 2006

Warping Bored

Warping Bored

Now that my pal Debbie has finally received her Dye-O-Rama yarn, I will post a few more details on how I colored it.

Last week I listed my starting materials. Per Ysolda's instructions, I made my own warping board with a spare piece of plywood and some small nails. Like her, I crossed the board 14 times. Each row was 2" apart and the two columns were separated by 2' (24"). I wrapped it in her style ten full (down and back) times.

Warping Board

I tied every crossover loosely with some spare cotton yarn and removed the long, tied-up yarn. I dyed it in sections so it would become self-striping.

The 1/2 pound of supersock ended up making two ~360-yard skeins and one ~270-yard skein after all the wrapping.

I only had one non-food pot that met the requirements (enamel or stainless steel), so I did the colors in batches.

Soup's on!

The big stainless steel pot is for food but I used it to rest the inactive yarn so it wouldn't catch on fire. I'm crazy like that.

The Country Classic Dyes are so easy to use. Per the instructions I presoaked the yarn in hot water with a little dish detergent for 30 minutes prior to dyeing. The water clears up during the 20-30 minutes that the boiling yarn takes to soak up the dye. These were relatively small dyelots so I used ~1 tsp dye per ~6 cups of water per color. I dyed all the superwash merino at once and I wanted the colors to be fairly subtle, so I didn't worry too much about measuring.

Yummy!

I orginally designed a complicated stripe pattern for my pal but accidentally dropped the white into the green, making a bit of a mess on the white. I kept this skein for myself and made a sock out of Wendy's Toe-Up Sock Pattern.

Sock!

Debbie's yarn should have wider stripes of more uniform thickness. For perspective, I knit this sock on bamboo US1s (the 0s were making the fabric too tight) out of half of the 360 yards I kept for myself. The other sock might be finished in time for fall. I'm just not sure, because I have lots and lots of other fun sock yarn to knit up.

If you're interested in more dye-your-own links (Catherine!), check out the sidebar information at Scout's Dye-O-Rama page.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Kneesock! Yum!

Man, dyeing looks like a lot of work. I'm glad there are people out there with the jones for it so that I don't have to do it :)

6/29/2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

What a fabulous sock!

I also like your furry helpers.

6/29/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

I love the kneesock! very cute..pattern?. thanks for the link advice ;)

6/29/2006  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Great colors! I like seeing your warping board with all the labels on it! And Barley and Teak are really helping out, just as all pets feel obliged to do ;o)

6/29/2006  
Blogger Chris said...

WOW. Thanks for sharing your process! I definitely need to tweak mine. :)

I LOVE the picture of your kitty bad/warping board.

6/30/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I'm glad you have a hobby that Teak and Barley can help you out with ;)

--Beth

6/30/2006  
Blogger arcadianrhythm said...

WHOA! You put my pathetic attempt at Kool-Aid dyeing to shame. The kneesock is wonderful, too!

6/30/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - you are very ambitious to go through so much work (I would have walked around the corner to the LYS). Nice kneesock!

It cracks me up how pets always want to sit on everything that you are engaged with - yoga mats, sleeping bags/tents, newspapers, knitting...in your case, warping boards...

7/01/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home