Nov 21, 2005

Branching Out is Finished!

I steam-blocked my first lace scarf last night.

branchingout

Here are the details:
Yarn: Madil Kid Seta in ‘Moss.’
Pattern: Branching Out by Susan Pierce Lawrence
Needles: Vintage US7 aluminums. A little slippery, which is to be expected. They are also a little too heavy, causing some wrist fatigue. I will try to find my bamboos before I start the one for my grandmother.
Recipient: Rock Star's mom.
Thoughts: I got 36 repeats from 1 ball and had quite a bit left over. If I were making this for myself, I would've knit it all out to make a really long scarf. There are some mistakes here and there; I'm hoping that the recipient won't notice!

Don't drop stitches or mess up with this yarn. It is really a bitch to frog and tink.

6 Comments:

Blogger brooke t. higgins said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love it. Can't wait to see the next one!

11/21/2005  
Blogger Kristy said...

Oh the finished scarf is beautiful! I have this one on my mental list of things to knit soon. Hopefully after the first of the year. My biggest hold-up is that I haven't decided on a yarn to use. Yours is really lovely. How long did it take you, start to finish?

11/21/2005  
Blogger amandamonkey said...

Hey! Thanks for the great comments! I just noticed the big mistake as I was looking at the post again to comment. Seems I shoulda had more caffeine this morning before I posed it....

Anyway, to answer Kristy's question, the learning curve on this was steep. It took me several cast-ons to really get going (I think it would be better with a 'stickier' needle like bamboo) and some mistakes. So for a week or two I was just doing one repeat a night and then moving on to an easier project. Now I'm down to 1 perfect repeat every 20-25 minutes.

I really liked the Kid Seta. It's very soft and lofty and the color choices are yummy.

11/21/2005  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oooh it looks so nice! I admire your fortitude with two things I fear unreasonable: mohair and lace.

Per your comment, Isn't it funny how you can measure time in repeats after a while? Or--my favorite--measure repeats in TV units: "I only have one Law & Order of that hat left--I might as well just finish it up."

11/21/2005  
Blogger DancingFish said...

That is beautiful! So beautiful that it inspires me to give mine some attention. The blocking really does make the pattern easier to see.

11/21/2005  
Blogger the knitrider said...

its so beautiful and airy! and what a dramatic shot!

11/21/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home