May 14, 2006

Rest In Peace

Still Life with Dogs
Barney (foreground) with Barley at my parents' place (2005)

I just got off the phone with my parents. They had to put their companion of nearly 14 years down yesterday. I was a freshman in college when Mom and I walked into the pound to look for puppies for Dad's Christmas present. My eyes locked with Barney's from across the room and he has been part of our family ever since.

He was named after Barney Rubble, but when Barney the dinosaur became popular my brother and I unsuccessfully campaigned for a name change on his behalf.

He always sat on the stairs in the evening, so he could keep one eye on my dad snoozing in the living room and the other on my mom in the kitchen while she made dinner.

He was good at kissing lots but avoiding lips.

His favorite snacks were scrambled eggs and toast with peanut butter.

Dad buried him on the south side of the house, under his favorite spot to survey his territory.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Sniff. I...sniff. I hope you are doing ok, and that your parents are too.

5/14/2006  
Blogger Debbie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/14/2006  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your parents.

5/14/2006  
Blogger jlmack said...

I'm sorry you lost your doggie. We got a boxer named Hobbes around the same time you got Barney. We had to put him down a few years ago because he had cancer, but I swear you can still see him around the house.
It's really hard to lose a pet. I hope that you and your family are ok.

5/14/2006  
Blogger Scoutj said...

:(

5/14/2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

Aw....I'm so sorry.

One of my favorite quotes is: "All dogs have one fault: they all die too soon."

My condolences to you and your parents.

5/14/2006  
Blogger Carrie said...

Barney,
May every day in doggie heaven be filled with milkbones and sunny skies.

5/14/2006  
Blogger RheLynn said...

:_0( Barney was very lucky for you to come into his life, and take him to a wonderful family. He had many happy years with you and was obviously very loved. I'm sorry for your loss :o(

The 'I'll sit here so I can see both of you' comment says a lot about him.

5/14/2006  
Blogger carrie said...

poor puppy. looked like he had a good life.

5/14/2006  
Blogger Chris said...

*hug*

5/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amanda...I'm so sorry for you and your parents. The thought makes my heart break in two...

5/15/2006  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i am so sorry to hear about your families loss. I know what its like to lose such a loving companoion and my heart goes out to all of you...

5/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amanda, I am so sorry to hear about Barney. My best to you and your parents.

5/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thoughts are with you and your parents and all the good dogs out there....hope all is well.

5/16/2006  
Blogger Dani said...

oh amanda.. my heart goes out to barney. Send some big hugs to your parents... what a perfect spot to bury him..

5/17/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I visited your parent's place, Barney and I went out for a walk one day. We enjoyed a calm and peaceful summer morning together. He had such a nice and gentel soul. I am sorry that he is not here any more. I will miss him.

5/18/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home