Jul 25, 2007

Humpty Dumpty

Just now Rock Star asked me if I'd posted yet today. I said no, I don't know what to write right now.

He said, "How about Humpty-Dumpty?"

Me: "That's a great idea!"

RS: "Yeah, with the Lord of Death. They could have some kind of battle!"

Me: ...

Humpty Dumpty Sat On A Porch
All the king's horses and all the king's men Couldn't put Humpty together again.

I was back in Indiana a few weeks ago. Mom had been cleaning the closets (always a good score for me) and found this Humpty Dumpty toy that my grandmother, Allegra, made when I was wee. I loved that thing, as evidenced by the stains on his face. Best guess is that I tried to share my apple juice with him on at least one occasion.

I must've been four years old when there was a tornado warning on TV. Dad explained what a tornado was and I went upstairs, tied up the huge amount of stuffed animals I had in a blankie, and dragged them to the living room, closer to the basement in case we had to run in to avoid total destruction. I didn't get geography then. We weren't actually in any danger, but Dad could never convince me of that. I think I ended up passed out amid the elephants and the rag dolls and Humpty.

Lately, I have been feeling an urgency to gather up the things made by Allegra, as if this act would stop the cruel replacement of her memories with fear and confusion. She told my mother the other day that she thought her husband was cheating on her. Mom assured her that he wasn't and Grandma said, "well, I can't think of another reason he wouldn't come home last night!"

My step-grandfather has been dead for over 10 years. They had a joyful marriage and I can't imagine that cheating was ever an issue in their relationship. The more she forgets, the more I hoard these old scraps of fabric.

Still Smiling After All These Years

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, that's so sad. Just horribly, horribly sad.

Also sad, but sweet--the idea of terrified little you rescuing all your stuffed animals from the impending tornado. I would have totally done that too.

7/25/2007  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that's so very sad... It's wonderful that you have Humpty. And I'm glad you didn't pit him against another toy in battle...

7/25/2007  
Blogger shula said...

I can totally dig it.

We were evacuated in the 69 bushfires. They had to prise my hands from my trike to take me. I would rather have died than leave it behind.

7/25/2007  
Blogger floresita said...

It's so wonderful that you have memories like this wonderful creation... these things will always tie you to the ones you love!

7/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alzheimers is such a cruel, cruel disease.

You sound like you were a really cute kid.

7/26/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home