Oct 18, 2005

So sad, because I do love Target... and other anti-woman news!

From PP Action Alerts:
"Imagine walking into a pharmacy with a prescription and being told by the pharmacist, "I won't fill it. It's my right not to fill it." It's outrageous to think this is possible, but this is exactly what happened to a 26-year-old woman who presented a prescription for emergency contraception at a Target in Fenton, MO, on September 30. Join Planned Parenthood in demanding that every woman's pills be filled -- now!"

10/19/2005:
Here's the response I got from Target today:

Dear Target Guest,

Target places a high priority on our role as a community pharmacy and our obligation to meet the needs of the patients we serve. We expect all our team members, including our pharmacists, to provide respectful service to our guests, particularly when it comes to their health care needs. Like many other retailers, Target has a policy that ensures a guest’s prescription for emergency contraception is filled, whether at Target or at a different pharmacy, in a timely and respectful manner. This policy meets the health care needs of our guests while respecting the diversity of our team members. Your thoughts help us learn more about what our guests expect, so I’ll be sure to share your feedback with our pharmacy executives. Thanks for taking the time to share your questions, thoughts and comments. I hope we’ll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Hanson
Target Executive Offices


Is it just me, or does this seem like a nice way of saying, 'yes, we hear you, but we really don't care what you think'? Here was my response:


Dear Target.Response,

I place a high priority on my role as a person in the community and my obligation to continue to fight for my rights as a woman. I expect all of the businesses that I frequent, including the mega-marts, to act in a socially conscious, respectful manner while providing me with goods on demand. Like many other socially conscious consumers, I have a policy that strives to ensure that my material needs are met while doing the least damage possible, be it environmentally, economically, etc. Your thoughts help me learn that Target does not strive to meet the health care needs of women, so I will not be registering for my wedding with you nor purchasing from your chain of stores during the holidays. I'll be sure to share your feedback with the greater community via my blog and by word of mouth. Thanks for taking the time to send me an automated response indicating that you do not really care what I think about this issue. I hope that Target will soon change its policies to serve the needs of all of its 'guests' so that I can soon again count Target among businesses that I frequent.

Sincerely,
amandamonkey
Former Target 'Guest'


And, here is some very humiliating news from my home state. Even if the idea has been dropped, it is still vomit-inducing...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

ooooh good idea to blog it. How infuriating is this? Of course I was extra mad when I got the email today because I had planned a little shopping spree for myself at Target this afternoon. Dammit.

10/18/2005  
Blogger hamster_grrl said...

I got the same letter from Target today as well.

The bit that makes me think is:

Like many other retailers, Target has a policy that ensures a guest’s prescription for emergency contraception is filled, whether at Target or at a different pharmacy , in a timely and respectful manner.

Since I am pretty sure that Target's policies do not have any bearing on different pharmacies, are they saying to go somewhere else to get our prescription filled if a Target pharmacist won't?

That totally smacks of 'we hear what you're saying but we don't care'.

10/19/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home